The OpenCounseling Therapy Guide
Using This Guide
Please feel free to skip around this guide depending on where you are in your therapy journey. It is designed with this in mind. We recommend you bookmark this page so that you can return to it as needed.
Learn How Therapy Works
We understand therapy more now in our culture than we used to, but many myths persist. Read these articles to dispel those myths and learn more about how therapy works.
Decide If You Need Therapy
While good therapy is almost always helpful, it’s not always necessary. These articles can help you figure out whether it’s the right time to start therapy.
Fit Therapy into Your Budget
Unfortunately, one of the biggest obstacles to starting therapy can be figuring out how to pay for it. You can get further in therapy by starting with the right budget. These articles will help you learn how.
- Deciding What and How to Pay for Therapy
- How to Set Up a Budget for Therapy
- How Much Does Therapy Cost? Our Ultimate Guide
There are number of places where you can get therapy. You may qualify for one or several. These articles describe all the places you could reach out for therapy so that you can weigh the pros and cons of each.
- How to Get More Out of Your Mental Health Coverage
- How to Negotiate Fees with Your Private Pay Therapist
- What is Sliding-Scale Therapy?
- Online Therapy Providers (contains sponsored links)
- Using Medicare to Pay for Therapy
- Using Medicaid to Pay for Therapy
- State-Funded or Public Mental Health Services: Our State-by-State Guide
- Employee Assistance Programs
- University Counseling Centers for Students and the Community
- Military Veterans’ Resources for Individual Therapy and Marriage Counseling
OpenCounseling has the most comprehensive list of community-based and affordable counseling centers. To find local community counseling in your area, click here.
Choose the Right Therapist
One of the most important things you can do to get more out of therapy is choose the right therapist. These articles explain how to find a good therapist who is also a good fit for you.
Get the Most Out of Your Sessions
To get the most out of therapy, you have to do more than just show up for your sessions. But don’t worry—the steps you have to take are actually pretty simple.
Maintain Your Mental Wellness
One of the most important things you can do to enhance and retain the benefits of therapy is to actively take care of your mental health as part of your everyday routine. Read these articles for tips on how to maintain your mental wellness: